The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > The Sports Page
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah,...Come' On!

Default Erk Russell Quotes

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Erk_Russell

Erk Russell was a football coach for the Georgia Southern University and the University of Georgia.

Memorable Quotes

* "A good story just makes you feel better."

* "If you don't have the best of everything, make the best of everything you have."

* "The best way to win a game is not to lose it."

* "I was a pretty good kid, I really didn't get into too much trouble. On one occasion, just after school, a group of boys met in the boys bathroom and somebody was rolling dice. ... I remember I stepped in and said, "My turn," and I put a dime down there and my point was 10. ... I was saying, "Come on 10, come on 10," and I looked around all of a sudden and there was nobody there. And I turned all the way around and our shop teacher, Mr. Sparks, said, "Come on, Russell." ... I learned a good lesson: Don't try to make 10."

* "My dad always had a job that he really didn't relish getting up and going to every day. He said, 'Boy' --- that's all he ever called me --- he said, 'Boy, you do something that you enjoy doing.'"

* "I had an opportunity (to play) at Alabama. I told them that that was what I always wanted to do and that I was coming, and when I got back home an Auburn coach was sitting on my front porch, and he said, 'Come on, we're going to Auburn.' And I said, 'I just got back from Alabama, I told them I was gonna go to school there and that's what I want to do.' And he said, 'Well you've got to take a look at Auburn.' So I said, 'OK.' We drove to Auburn, he put on a change of clothes, picked up his bag and we went to Gulf Shores, Alabama, and fished for two days. When we got back, I said, 'I've always wanted to go to Auburn.'"

* "Attitude might be worth 80 percent of any athlete's makeup."

* "You know what a consultant is, don't you? A consultant is a guy that knows 100 different sex positions but doesn't know a woman."

* "The South, to me, is fried chicken and catfish caviar --- that's grits --- and good-looking women."

* "Communication is the most important technique in teaching and in coaching, eyeball to eyeball, one on one: 'This is what we want to accomplish, and this is the way we're going to accomplish it.' Not memos, not bulletin boards or announcements, one on one."

* "The brotherhood of football ... is the strongest brotherhood known to man as far as I'm concerned."

* "I had a handmade card hanging in my locker at Georgia that said, 'If I do, they will. If I don't, they won't.'"

* "We lost a 3-year-old at one time, a child, and that is real pain. But time, blessed time, is the greatest healer. ... It ain't gonna quit hurting until enough time passes."

* "I was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame --- 500 people in a big room --- and a man with a roving microphone stuck it in front of my wife and said, 'How did a nice-looking lady like you live with this old bald-headed so and so for so many years?' And without blinking she said, 'He was never at home.'"

* "I have very little use for cell phones ... but they seem to be free on the weekends."

* "Our recruiting budget at Georgia Southern was $200 our first year. I had just left Georgia, whose recruiting budget was a quarter of a million dollars. And as I drove down the Woodpecker Trail, trying to touch base with people in Claxton and Alma and Jesup and Ludowici, sometimes I wondered, "What have you done?'"

* "In the interest of economy, we had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'Team'."

* "I wouldn't allow them to put names on the back of our jerseys. We had to sell programs."

* "Probably the most historical figure in Alabama history is Bear Bryant. I wish I had his coaching ability and his record and his financial statement."

* "The 1980 season at Georgia, I came out of the dormitory where we ate our pregame meal. I looked down and there was a dime on the ground. I picked it up, put it in my left shoe. I was wearing saddle Oxfords, which I did all the time anyway, and we beat Clemson that day, maybe it was the second or third game of the season. I taped the dime in my shoe so I wouldn't lose it, and made sure that I wore it throughout the season. We were 12-0 and won the national championship, and I'm sure the dime did it."

* "We had a president that came to Georgia Southern and during one of our booster luncheons to kick off the football season --- he's the new president, his name was Nick Henry. ... He got up before the group and said, 'It's so nice to be at a college that's not on probation.' He said, 'I taught at Georgia, they were on probation. I went to Arizona State, they were on probation.' ... I followed him with my remarks and I said, 'Dr. Henry, you don't have to worry about Georgia Southern cheating. Because it takes money to cheat, and we don't have any money.'"

* "I haven't been very smart, but what I have been is lucky. Somebody asked me about the last year that I coached at Southern, 'What would I like for people to say about me after I'm gone?' And I told them, "I would like for them to say, 'He was the luckiest S.O.B. that I've ever seen.' " And I have been that. Smart? No. No way."

* "As a young coach, I ran with the players. As a 55-year-old coach, I jogged with the players. As an old coach of 60, 64, 65, I had to start woggin'. A wog is a little bit faster than a walk, but slower than a jog."

* "I've had both hips replaced. I've had surgery on every joint except one knee and one elbow. I've had my left knee replaced. Compared to a knee, a hip replacement is a piece of cake."

* "I think most golfers would just about swap their front-row seat in hell for 30 more yards off the tee."

* "After the 40th year of coaching, I'd walk around the field with my hands in my pockets. The less I said and did, the better our teams performed. I said, 'This ain't coaching. It's time for me to hang it up.'"

* "I don't particularly miss going to see a young man, telling him how great our school is, and what an opportunity he has here, and mean every word of it. And then have him say, 'Coach, I just ain't made up my mind yet.'"

* "Fame wasn't important. I didn't even know it existed. I saw my name in the paper and my picture in the paper a lot, but I felt like I could overcome that."

* "A good sense of humor even helps in football."

* "We played the Florida State junior varsity, the Ft. Benning Doughboys and Magnum Force. ... Their cheerleaders looked like meter maids." - On GSU's schedule early on. He said the Magnum Force was composed of Jacksonville, Fla., policemen.

* "Emotionally, our players are just as tough as theirs. It's more physical than anything. Their players are taller. We've both got 260-pound linemen. But the ones at Georgia are 6-5, while the ones at Georgia Southern are 5-10. ... We've got a bus that, conservatively speaking, has about five million miles on it," - On the differences between major college football and I-AA.

* "I've been bald so long I really don't remember when I had any hair. I know I didn't have any when I coached at Auburn in 1958. I had a thin crop when I played for Auburn (1946-49). That's it. When I went to Auburn to coach, I had fringe hair, the kind some men part down low and comb across their heads to cover up the bare spots. Haircuts went up to $1 about then. I wasn't about to pay anybody a dollar to cut what was already falling out, so I got me a razor." - On going bald.

* "Why would you stay in this room with this potential killer, cocaine, and then leave when a snake comes in? I want you to promise me that if anybody ever brings that white stuff into the room where you are, you'll leave the way you did just now." - In his famous meeting where he brought in a live rattlesnake and watched his players scattered in fear.

* "That's overworked. Heck, once you get a few scabs on the forehead, they're bound to bleed some when popped open. I've quit that, anyway, because I've got to uphold the image of a head coach." - On the blood that trickled down after he'd head-butt his linemen before games at Georgia.

* "They'd just as soon be old Georgia Southern, in plain white pants, Navy blue shirts without any trimming and just play football." - On his team's reaction to that ranking.

* "In football, like in life, you've got to do what you've got to do to get the job done. I've always believed that. Football is still football, it's a game of tackling and blocking and competitive people. Every time I told a joke or told a story or pulled a stunt, there had to be a moral behind it." - at an Augusta speaking engagement in 1998

* "I told myself that golf was not a sport and shouldn't even be on the sports page. On the other hand, I said when my body falls completely apart and I couldn't do anything else, I'd give it a try. So the first of the year I gave it a try, and it's got me hooked. And I mean that, literally, because everything I hit hooks." -On his new hobby after retiring from Georgia Southern.

* "You know, Matt, 25 years ago, we weren't sure if Communism or soccer would conquer our country. Looks like soccer won." - To former sports information director Matt Rogers while watching an Eagles soccer match.

* "My first 31 years in this business were like a guy eating at a buffet table. Later, when I came here to Georgia Southern, it was like eating the desert." - Reflecting on his career in 1998

Last edited by BoroNative : 07-30-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: edited to 10K character limit
Old 07-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Shady Acres Farm & kennel

Classic Erk.

I remember the first time I ever saw the man. I went to a UGA football camp for Highschool players. He came out on the practice field with shorts and a windbreaker with the sleves cut out of it. On the back it had embrodried on it

" Tuck Fech"

The man demanded attention with just his attitude!

RIP Erk!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Dammit Bobby

I remember on the Erk Russel show one day during the pregame interview, he had that famous cut on his brow and forehead.

Ole Bill asked him if he had been buttin gheads with the players and he answered
"Nah, I promised my wife I wouldn't do that no more. I was in a hurry to get over here and they didn't cut the grass short enough on the field and I tripped and cut my head."

Wes you are right...he commanded attention and respect just by his presence... Truly one of the greatest men I have ever met.

The biggest highlight of my time at Southern was the first time he called me by my name before the UTC game....3rd game of the season and I made it from being called Manager to my name...Called my dad afterwards and told him all about it...I think he was as excited as I was. Erk was a legend to us and pretty much the reason I chose to go to GA Southern.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Well???

Good stuff right there...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Chasin' A Swamp Chicken

some good words to live by. sounds like he was a smart man.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
I dont know a lot of the history of ERK but can you shed some light on why Georgia didn't try and get him back during some of the real poor years after Dooley....? or did they and im just not remembering that...did he have something against the university?

After Dooley retired there were rumors all around about them hiring Erk...

He had meetings with UGA and was told the job was his. He decided he did not want to commit to the 5 years he felt he would need to give and publicly turned the job down.

Then UGA came out and to save face said they never offered him the job.

Well, they were then turned down by Dick Sheridan also, and ended up with Ray Goff.

I was glad he stayed at Southern for one more year, but it still pisses me off that Dr Knapp came out and tried to make it look like Erk made it all up.

Dooley in his book basically says the search committee told him it was his job and made what Erk felt was a legitimate offer, but that Dr Knapp had not made the offer so it was not official.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
wonder why he didnt want to commit to 5 years.....

I had heard the Knapp story that he had never offered it to Coach Russell, but didn't know how much of that was crap.
I liked Goff though- he was one of our best coaches.
he knew he was getting close to retiring and didn't want to commit to the time it would take to install the Ham bone and get the players in to run it.

He told us after practice before either the semifinals or the NC game that there was a lot of talk about him going....Then he looked at Everett Sharp (Shannon and Sterling Sharp's cousin) and said "But I don't see how I could leave knowing that I wouldn't get to see your ugly ass everyday." Classic Erk.

The next year he went 15-0 and retired.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:48 AM
Shady Acres Farm & kennel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
he knew he was getting close to retiring and didn't want to commit to the time it would take to install the Ham bone and get the players in to run it.

He told us after practice before either the semifinals or the NC game that there was a lot of talk about him going....Then he looked at Everett Sharp (Shannon and Sterling Sharp's cousin) and said "But I don't see how I could leave knowing that I wouldn't get to see your ugly ass everyday." Classic Erk.

The next year he went 15-0 and retired.
Everett was a ugly Mofo too. Funny as hell but Ugly!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Don't Ban Me AGAIN Bro!!!

Great quotes. Erk is missed.