The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Shooting The Bull
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2017, 10:37 AM
THE PLACE Member

Default Opinions on Electric UTV's

I'm looking for real world experience on all electric UTV's.. Don't want to hear about your gas engine stuff.. I have a Yamaha Grizzly and a Rhino.. i'm looking for all electric, 4x4 .. I've been looking at the Textron/Bad Boy Buggie 2017 Recoil EV IS and the 2018 Prowler EV IS.. I like the idea of the independent wishbone rear suspension along with the 72v motors, wish they had selectable 2wd/4wd instead of full time 4wd but thats a minor thing and not a deal breaker.
I know the older BBB had their share of issues,,, Also the Polaris EV has had it's share of issues..
Anyone have any real input on any of these new EUTV's?

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 10-07-2017, 02:41 PM
THE PLACE Member

A good friend of mine has the Polaris EV and they love it. They use is often running between and around their farms. They also had one of the crew cab gas Rangers and sold it because they liked the EV so much better.

I'm considering one myself just to have around the house.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Mean muggin

You're worse than scrammage about wanting opinions on stuff you're gonna buy

I have a gas powered 4 wheeler and love it. It runs off gas.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:41 PM
THE PLACE Member

'Lectric is quieter but replacing the batteries would get pricey. I don't know how long they last?

If I get a EV Ranger I will automatically have the moral high ground due to my smaller carbon footprint. Or maybe I'll just put AT tires on a Prius and call it a UTV?
Old 10-07-2017, 08:28 PM
THE PLACE Member

My understanding is when a BBB breaks down, you have to take it to a dealer to get it fix. That would be a deal stopper fed me
Old 10-08-2017, 08:00 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
A good friend of mine has the Polaris EV and they love it. They use is often running between and around their farms. They also had one of the crew cab gas Rangers and sold it because they liked the EV so much better.

I'm considering one myself just to have around the house.
The Polaris ev would get my vote. My buddy has both the BBB recoil, the EV, and a gas ranger and prefers the EV. Nice and quiet machine, no squeaking like the early BBB's.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrebel View Post
The Polaris ev would get my vote. My buddy has both the BBB recoil, the EV, and a gas ranger and prefers the EV. Nice and quiet machine, no squeaking like the early BBB's.
This guy has both and I asked if he was still happy with his Recoil, and here's his reply
Quote:
Yes so far no issues at all. Been using it every week since we purchased it. We go from the Polaris EV to the Recoil to compare noise and can't believe how much quieter the Recoil is compared to the Polaris. I really do like the Polaris though and it's a great vehicle just wish they would used a quieter motor and Switch to a different design on the suspension bushings which squeak terribly. I'm getting ready to tear the Polaris apart again and try to grease all the bushings to quiet her down. The motor will still be somewhat noisier than the Recoil but the squeaking is extremely loud. On a quiet morning you can seriously hear the squeaking up to 200 yards away. The good news is it can be fixed just requires maintenance to keep it that way. The maintenance involves disassembling the rear suspension to access the upper and lower outer bushings. These bushings don't have grease fittings and tend to be the issue.
Quote:
I think both the Recoil and Polaris EV are pretty good products. Neither is perfect but each has own strong points. For Farm use and around the house or hunting very steep terrain the Polaris has more space and maybe more flexibility of use. Nice cargo box, a little bigger etc. it's more stabile on side hills and can go up very steep terrain.

However, the Recoil IS is quieter as it seems to have less squeaks and rattles, and almost no engine noise. Has awesome engine braking and rides almost as good as EV. Polaris has engine braking also but it doesn't work nearly as well. The Recoil makes a great hunting rig. Again just keep in mind it only handles moderate inclines. It seems to me that Textron needs to reprogram the controller so that power is more balanced between the front and rear of the vehicle. As it's almost impossible to get the rear tires to spin. I've had times where the vehicle stops on a incline with the pedal to the floor and the front tires spin like crazy. However the back tires don't spin at all. This is what leads me to believe not enough power is being transferred to the rear.

Lastly I can't remember if I mentioned this before but Polaris only has a six month warranty compared to the Textron Recoil IS 2 year warranty. This is another plus for Recoil IS and it's good to know it's there if needed.

Last edited by Just 1 More : 10-08-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 AM
THE PLACE Member

More review/comparison
Quote:
Polaris EV vs Textron Recoil IS

We are beginning to test these two side by side. Will have more info to share in the weeks to come. Test to be completed in NC, VA, and OH mountains. 2014 Polaris EV with 6 month old batteries vs new 2017 Recoil IS.

Initial thoughts are as follows:

- Recoil is much quieter due to no squeaks and a lot less motor noise.
- EV is noticeable more stable on side hills.
- EV feels like front end is heavier on severe inclines
- Recoil has more run time per charge.
- EV rides slightly better due to better shock dampening but Recoil IS is still very good.
- Recoil has best warranty. 2 years vs 6 months.
- Recoil has a stronger engine braking plus it controls both front and rear tires vs just rear like on EV. This allows for better downhill control.
- EV is wider with more room for passengers. This could be good or bad depending on trail width. EV being wider improves sidehill stability as mentioned earlier.
- Recoil does not overheat when ran in 70F or warmer temps like EV does. We have several EV's and all overheat in higher temps when used in hilly terrain. The new Recoil just ran and ran and never once over heated no matter how hard we pushed it.
- The EV seems to have slightly better traction on severe inclines but keep in mind it also has improved aftermarket Grim Reaper tires which are more aggressive than the factory Recoil tires.
-The Recoil feels very solid and well built. Actually a good bit more so than the EV. But it's still new and the Recoil's track record is not great. I know Textron bought Bad Boy several years ago and it's apparent they are putting a lot of money and effort in improving this machine. It feels very solid and well built now. Time will tell though if it will hold up. Either way initial quality, quietness plus a solid feel makes a Recoil a solid winner in this category.

Lastly, keep in mind that the IS version has more batteries than the standard rear solid axle Recoil thus has improved run time. It is also $2-3k more in cost.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:05 PM
THE PLACE Member

Franky......you can buy a cheap golf cart and rig it out yourself for half the price!

You can get tires, lift kit, rims, racks all online for pretty cheap......golf carts are pretty easy to work on and add parts to them.

A good golf cart motor would be the most expensive part.

I bet for 3-4K you can have it lifted, racks, rims, tires and new motor that has plenty of torque.....I prefer more torque as opposed to more speed.

Our would run 25-30 MPH and do wheely......that motor burned out.....we went with more torque and it runs 12 mph or so........but I can drive 4 grown men around the farm.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:51 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
Franky......you can buy a cheap golf cart and rig it out yourself for half the price!

You can get tires, lift kit, rims, racks all online for pretty cheap......golf carts are pretty easy to work on and add parts to them.

A good golf cart motor would be the most expensive part.

I bet for 3-4K you can have it lifted, racks, rims, tires and new motor that has plenty of torque.....I prefer more torque as opposed to more speed.

Our would run 25-30 MPH and do wheely......that motor burned out.....we went with more torque and it runs 12 mph or so........but I can drive 4 grown men around the farm.
I built a golf cart back in 2010ish... did a 6" Jakes lift, rims, tires, and upgraded to a Plum Quick motor.. That thing was pretty cool. It was only a 36v and I still could have done more with a high amp controller and other parts.
I'm wanting something new that has all the newest improvements. The older I get the more plush and comfort I want
The Recoil/Prowler EV IS has independent rear suspension, 72v motors front and rear, 4x4 .. I know I don't need all that but, i'm thinking long term hoping it's something that would last me the next 10+ years

Old 10-09-2017, 02:06 PM
THE PLACE Member

Sounds like you've convinced yourself. Go for it and let us know how it works.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:15 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
Sounds like you've convinced yourself. Go for it and let us know how it works.
No sir, not 100%.. I'm still looking and anylizing

Old 10-10-2017, 06:21 PM
THE PLACE Member

Well Phuck.. I think i've gone and found one.. 2017 Recoil Ev IS.. discounted because it's a '17 but it's new with full 2 year factory warranty. Was going to hold out for the '18's but the '18's only have a 1 year warranty now and have a little less run time cause they went to (6) 12v batteries instead of the (9) 8v batteries.
2017 Textron Off Road Recoil IS
72v 4WD
Black with Rear fold down seat and top.
- 2 Year Warranty -
IMG_2203
IMG_2202
IMG_2201
IMG_2199
IMG_2204

Old 10-10-2017, 06:27 PM
THE PLACE Member

The 8 volt battery system is higher capacity, which means it will run longer than the 12 volt system. When batteries are connected in series (as yours will be) the capacity of one battery is the capacity of the system. Our T875 8 volt battery is rated at 170 amp hours and will support a 25 amp load for 295 minutes. Our T1275 12 volt battery is rated at 150 amp hours and will support a 25 amp load for 280 minutes.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 PM
THE PLACE Member

How fast will it go pooopooo? Good pulling power? Or just good for cruising and hauling a deer out.