The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Shooting The Bull
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Go dawgs!

Default AR-15s

Never have had the itch to have one until now. Been looking at lower level guns for about a week now as I don't want to sink a bunch into one in the beginning. You fellows that have them really enjoy them?

Any for sale ?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:14 AM
THE PLACE Member

I had a few and sold them........I loved them!

I bought mine from a guy who used to be on here.....Jack Sowell......(strycnine).

He built them and sold them for a pretty good price! It was his hobby ...

Sold mine few months ago.........might need to buy another.

Love shooting them!
Old 01-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Go dawgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
I had a few and sold them........I loved them!

I bought mine from a guy who used to be on here.....Jack Sowell......(strycnine).

He built them and sold them for a pretty good price! It was his hobby ...

Sold mine few months ago.........might need to buy another.

Love shooting them!
Tom,
Have you just had the common 223/556?

I'm considering 300 blackout and the 6.5 Grendal
Old 01-16-2019, 11:19 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arra View Post
Tom,
Have you just had the common 223/556?

I'm considering 300 blackout and the 6.5 Grendal
Yep........223/556.

They will put a hurting on a hog!

I just text him to see if he wanted to sell some of his.........nope was his answer.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM
THE PLACE Member

Check Palmetto State Armory.

They have real good prices!

The first AR I had was a PSA.....

Loved it!
Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Go dawgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
Check Palmetto State Armory.

They have real good prices!

The first AR I had was a PSA.....

Loved it!
I looked there a couple of days ago and found one I liked. Looked today and they were sold out.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

I have a Anderson Arms. Paid 600.00 for it a couple years ago. Its probably worth 400.00 now at best The one thing a Trump presidency did was make the bottom fall out on AR sales You can buy a decent one all day long now for 399.00 - 499.00. They are a lot of fun.

Last edited by Gimp : 01-16-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:51 PM
THE PLACE Member

300 shoots good and is super fun when it’s suppressed. The 5.56 is cheaper and shoots flatter. 6.5 Grendel would be good for deer or long range plinking. None have any recoil.

I shoot 5.56 the most but have all 3.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM
THE PLACE Member

I've had a few, sold all but one. Likely will sell the one I have. I just don't have a use for it.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
I've had a few, sold all but one. Likely will sell the one I have. I just don't have a use for it.
You better wait until a Democrat takes over unless you stole it Right now isnt the time to be selling AR15s. Its a buyers market. I dont have a use for mine either, right now. If the shit ever hits the fan though.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:27 PM
THE PLACE Member

Had a few and still have some. Check with Dixie ammo in hoschton they usually run some good deals. The owner is a good friend of mine so tell him I sent you and he will hook you up.
As far as names go, I've had delton, Dpms and bushmaster. All went bang every time so I can't say any ones better than another
Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 PM
THE PLACE Member

Kind of got the hankering for one myself
Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 PM
THE PLACE Member

If you’re going to shoot a lot get a milspec. Or just know you may have to repair/replace stuff if you go cheap. If you plink 100 rounds a year it probably won’t matter. I wasn’t super shooter or anything but I did enough local action rifle and 3 gun (and practice) that I had and saw issues with cheaper guns. Stuff like gas keys coming loose or bolt cam pins or retaining pins shearing, gas blocks coming loose, etc. Usually after 1,000 round is where you’d see it or even after a few hundred if it was short high round count matches that got the rifle really hot. High quality brand examples are BCM, LMT, Daniel Defen$e, LWRC and Colt among others. I kind of quit keeping up with ARs and most other gun prices unless I suddenly need something. Despite the AK fan boy claims, modern M16A2 and M-4s rarely ever quit. They got treated like crap and still ran. The vast majority of issues I saw were user related.

I’d also recommend a good two point sling, light, red dot or low power variable scope if you’re planning on using it for self-defense. A sling and light are especially important IMO. And lube like I mentioned. Chain saw bar oil if you’re not going to go buy any. Just wet the bolt down really well and wear shooting glasses because the first few rounds will blow it all over but the gun will run happy.

Lube the crap out it and you can be lazier on cleanings. A good one will run 1,000 rounds easily without cleaning if you lube it.

Last edited by georgiaboy : 01-16-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 AM
I'd rather be hunting

If you go 300 blackout be sure you get the pistol length gas tube to avoid jamming issues.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
If you’re going to shoot a lot get a milspec. Or just know you may have to repair/replace stuff if you go cheap. If you plink 100 rounds a year it probably won’t matter. I wasn’t super shooter or anything but I did enough local action rifle and 3 gun (and practice) that I had and saw issues with cheaper guns. Stuff like gas keys coming loose or bolt cam pins or retaining pins shearing, gas blocks coming loose, etc. Usually after 1,000 round is where you’d see it or even after a few hundred if it was short high round count matches that got the rifle really hot. High quality brand examples are BCM, LMT, Daniel Defen$e, LWRC and Colt among others. I kind of quit keeping up with ARs and most other gun prices unless I suddenly need something. Despite the AK fan boy claims, modern M16A2 and M-4s rarely ever quit. They got treated like crap and still ran. The vast majority of issues I saw were user related.

I’d also recommend a good two point sling, light, red dot or low power variable scope if you’re planning on using it for self-defense. A sling and light are especially important IMO. And lube like I mentioned. Chain saw bar oil if you’re not going to go buy any. Just wet the bolt down really well and wear shooting glasses because the first few rounds will blow it all over but the gun will run happy.

Lube the crap out it and you can be lazier on cleanings. A good one will run 1,000 rounds easily without cleaning if you lube it.
I have an older Anderson Manufacturing. It was a build by an older military Vet from Canton that I found on ODT. Supposedly its Mil Spec according to everything I researched and what he told me. Ive fired about 30 rounds through it but if Im ready. I need to stop buying and trading guitars and buy more ammo I need a light for it

Last edited by Gimp : 01-17-2019 at 09:08 AM.