The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Deer Hunting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2017, 07:02 AM
Mean muggin

Default Are y'all

Still hunting? How's the movement? Just typing up stuff because it's dead here and I'm thinking about going this afternoon.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:39 AM
iHonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
Still hunting? How's the movement? Just typing up stuff because it's dead here and I'm thinking about going this afternoon.
Iíve been at it pretty good here the last few days on the farm. Bunch of doe deers and some small bucks. Had a small 6 dogging a doe yesterday morning but for the most part I believe weíre on the back end of rutting action. I havenít seen any deers this morning. I hope a dandy of a hammer toad will come sorbeting through the forest here shortly.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:40 AM
THE PLACE Member

Haven't been since I went back to work Wednesday night. Had a bad cold for the last couple of days, but I am planning on hunting some evenings this week.

The wide buck I was planning to kill during the rut got shot opening week. Rumor has it that some homeowner shot it off his deck in his back yard. Not a big deal, but unless he shot the deer inside his property line (backyard), then I'm not sure how legal it was, I know the subdivision but not the house, but I do know that all of the houses in that s/d either back up to ours or another guy I knows land or the corp of engineer property on the backside. If he shot across the line, then he either shot it on ours, the other guy that I know or the corp land. Nobody has permission on ours, the other guys (but me) and the corp is a No Hunting area. you can bicycle the hell out of their land but absolutely no hunting. I would have liked to have hunted him in November, but no sense in caring now.

Here is the pic of the buck at the taxidermist. Ugly rack, but unique and a huge spread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG951296.jpg (41.8 KB, 59 views)
Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 AM
THE PLACE Member

Been at it hard for 9 straight days. Still hasnt hit the rut here yet. Took a father son team to their stand this morning amdnsaw a nice buck in the field next to where they are hunting.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:56 AM
THE PLACE Member

I’m in the stand now at my dads place. Probably my last hunt of the year. My BIL wanted to hunt so we’re here.

This place has always been hit or miss. It’s only 50 acres but we’ve been able to take a few deer over the years. The biggest buck came off this place about 6 years ago during Thanksgiving week.

Anything that resembles a deer will get shot this morning.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

It was dead in Illinois this past week... I hunted Monday through Friday. Saw 15 deer and only 1 doe. Biggest buck was maybe a 125” ish 8pt on Monday. After that... nothing but 1.5yr dinks and a 2.5yr 8pt that might go 115”

Came home with a tag... I had pics of a 170 class nontypical on Sunday am at 0645 15yds from one of my stands... That was the last day of shotgun season. Never saw him or got another pic after that. My brother in laws tagged out on two 9pts, and missed 3 does during the shotgun season. The property went dead after that.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:37 AM
THE PLACE Member

Bucks were running crazy behind my house yesterday. My cousin was hunting with me. He saw a chase and a couple cruising. I had 2 chases going all out around me. 1 was a six pt and I never got a look at the second one even though they came by me 4 different times she stayed in the thicket the entire time.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:34 AM
THE PLACE Member

I shot a big 8 pt yesterday morning at 745 am following 5 mins behind a doe. 34 yd shot. Hit him guess where. Low shoulder. Ughhhh. Was using a Ramcat Broadhead. Did not get a hole lot of penetration and arrow stayed in deer. Called in Mile Lopez and Lucy. Started tracking at 5 pm. We tracked this buck for 3 miles! Jumped him 3 times and the last one we would have finished him with pistol but couldnít get the shot off in the dark. He was bleeding badly toward the end of track. My back is out this am and Iím stove up pretty good it mentally and physically drained. First time in my life I feel like giving up bowhunting. I shoot as good as ever but mentally I am broke. Very very disappointed in myself. We had to get picked up last night off hwy 212 by mikes wife. Long night

Last edited by Quickdraw : 11-26-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Mean muggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
I shot a big 8 pt yesterday morning at 745 am following 5 mins behind a doe. 34 yd shot. Hit him guess where. Low shoulder. Ughhhh. Was using a Ramcat Broadhead. Did not get a hole lot of penetration and arrow stayed in deer. Called in Mile Lopez and Lucy. Started tracking at 5 pm. We tracked this buck for 3 miles! Jumped him 3 times and the last one we would have finished him with pistol but couldnít get the shot off in the dark. He was bleeding badly toward the end of track. My back is out this am and Iím stove up pretty good it mentally and physically drained. First time in my life I feel like giving up bowhunting. I shoot as good as ever but mentally I am broke. Very very disappointed in myself. We had to get picked up last night off hwy 212 by mikes wife. Long night
Damn.....just damn. Sorry to hear that Kevin. Why did y'all stop if he was bleeding badly towards the end of the track?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:44 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
Damn.....just damn. Sorry to hear that Kevin. Why did y'all stop if he was bleeding badly towards the end of the track?
We were on Westover plantation. Without permission we just couldnít keep going. We felt he would be dead in his next bed but he got up again without getting a shot. Iím trying to get in touch with landowner to see if we could go back in with the dog and access area from their gate off 212 by railroad tracks
Old 11-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Mean muggin

Hope they let you in. Hate to hear about the shot. Don't let it get you down. Shoot the hell out of a couple or 3 does and get your confidence back up.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:51 PM
THE PLACE Member

Gun season starts up here tomorrow... I go in to hiding . Between the road hunters, party hunters and the Amish pushing every block of woods whether they have permission or not... it gets scary... I'm certain one of these days a slug will come through the walls here at the house

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 11-26-2017, 03:11 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
That sucks, especially if it starts messing with your confidence. Shoot the next few that come by and get your confidence back.

Or, pick up a rifle and smell some burnt gunpowder
Old 11-26-2017, 04:18 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Aint seen much but the same doe and two yearlings. Three times this week watched them for an hour each sit and no bucks messing with them. There was some chasing caught on a couple of my cams from the week before.

Tonight, sitting on knoll in my cousins backyard with the ol dirty ought six.

This morning watched over a hundred ducks in small to large flocks cross the clear-cut and some over my head right at daybreak.

Last edited by JamesG : 11-26-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:59 PM
THE PLACE Member

Ain't been much. Hunted Friday morning, saw 10, 7 small bucks and 3 does