The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > The Sports Page
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Mean muggin

Default Young men's baseball

Is freaking rediculouus. My kid tried out for a pretty well thought of national program this past weekend. They sent me an email invite for him to join the team today. 2550$.....practice local and come together at tournaments with kids you've never met to play 3 weekends a month. He's a good player, but these fools are in a money grab too. All these dads with visions of grandeur for their kids. Ethan's goal is to play high school baseball. Some of these kids don't even play for their schools now. They play in showcases and perfect game national deals. It's gotten to be a joke for a kid who wants to play ball
Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Go dawgs!

I played Rec ball and school ball coming up. No way my parents would have paid big money for me to play ball and I was pretty good.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:13 PM
THE PLACE Member

It's been way out of control. A friend of mine has a daughter that played travel ball. Her senior year in high school, she had tournaments in CA one weekend, 2 weeks later one in CO, and then a month later back to CA. That is ridiculous.

A guy at work was bitching today about his son (about 8) going to play lacrosse. It cost him 800 dollars to just get signed up for the league and basic equipment
Old 02-04-2019, 07:22 PM
THE PLACE Member

Yeah, itís nuts. See it all the time. Parents living through their kids. Dumb
Old 02-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Mean muggin

The school asked for 650 for the booster club.... My parents never has to pay a dime for me to play football
Old 02-04-2019, 07:52 PM
THE PLACE Member

Damn. Iíve been wanting my boys to be good at sports but they need to play low dollar sports
Old 02-04-2019, 08:06 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Damn. Iíve been wanting my boys to be good at sports but they need to play low dollar sports
Sad part is that there in no such thing anymore. Low dollar has gone to the wayside just like kids that pley multiple sports. Now, kids are expected to pick a sport and focus on that one. There are very few multi sport athletes anymore and I blame the parents.

My daughter played sports when she was young but never cared for any of them and to be honest, I was totally fine with her not playing.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:19 PM
THE PLACE Member

My daughter is playing softball again. Sheís pretty decent at it. Sheís doesnít dominate or anything but she holds her own. I was fine with her not playing, but she wants to, so Iíll be coaching again. I donít really want to coach, but Iím not going to every practice and listen to a dummy that thinks they know what theyíre talking about, when they donít.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:58 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
Sad part is that there in no such thing anymore. Low dollar has gone to the wayside just like kids that pley multiple sports. Now, kids are expected to pick a sport and focus on that one. There are very few multi sport athletes anymore and I blame the parents.

My daughter played sports when she was young but never cared for any of them and to be honest, I was totally fine with her not playing.
My son is only 5 but has played everything so far for several years. They start playing here at 3. Baseball, football, basketball and soccer. He decided to drop soccer in favor of football and Iím totally fine with that. So far, basketball looks like it may be his sport.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 PM
THE PLACE Member

My daughter plays on the high school tennis team. I have to pay for her training with the local college tennis coach $40 an hr and 4 lessons a week. Uniforms cost $100. Schools don’t pay for anything anymore. Parents have to pay for it all
Old 02-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Go dawgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Cruiser View Post
Damn, rec nor HS cost me a dime that I can remember.
I think we had to pay a little for our uniform in Rec but that was it.

Might be different for bigger counties. Our rural county barely had enough to kids to field 3 or 4 teams.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

That effing blows Jim.... My boy decided he didn’t want to play anymore last year.... It broke my heart..... But... different strokes for different folks. He’s gotten into competitive archery now. He really enjoys it.

Reading what you wrote eased my thoughts of him not wanting to play ball anymore.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:03 PM
THE PLACE Member

Just got an email from the rec dept here in desperate need of tball coaches. Looks like I'll be coaching again.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:19 PM
THE PLACE Member

Mine did football and basketball. For park and rec it isn’t too bad other than lots of time traveling out of the county for football. My nephew plays HS baseball and travel ball, it’s expensive as all get out for that age.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:12 PM
THE PLACE Member

My coworker has a daughter in middle school (7th maybe) and he takes her to pitching lessons twice a week and practice or games almost every day of the week and tournaments on weekends. This goes on from Spring through about December.