The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Shooting The Bull
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 PM
THE PLACE Member

Default Safe

Any recommendations on a gun safe?
Want something to put my weapons in, wife's nicer jewelry, and other valuables.
Are the ones at tractor supply as good as any?
Should I bolt it to my foundation or are they heavy enough without it and anybody determined enough will get it anyways?
Thanks for helping.
Peace and chicken grease
Old 07-04-2016, 01:04 PM
THE PLACE Member

I would get a heavy one, I have a Browning. I didn't bolt it to the floor because if someone can tote it out then you can have it.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:17 PM
THE PLACE Member

I have a liberty, I guarantee you no one will tote that bastard off. It weighs over 1100 lbs
Old 07-04-2016, 01:37 PM
THE PLACE Member

Depends on what you want to pay. Liberty, Ft Knox, etc will be top of the line but expensive.

I have two of the ones that TSC sells, a 48 and a 64, both made by cannon. I've had zero problems out of both.

My dad has an older Browning and a couple of friends have Brownings.

Both of mine are bolted to the floor in my basement and I used spray adhesive before bolting them down. They don't move at all, if I ever sell my house, I will probably leave them there. If I ever do build another house, I plan to build a reinforced room and buy a safe door and have a walk in safe.

If you go the TSC route, they have big sales around the holidays and especially Black Friday. I rain checked the 64 gun safe and picked it up a few weeks later and avoided the crowds. I went by the TSC at my club and then used it at the one close to home.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:40 PM
THE PLACE Member

I just looked at the small ones at Tractor Supply but went with the cheap but similar one from Costco. This one is small so I bolted it to the floor. I wanted one for the closet for quicker access and convenience. The Costco safe was a bit heavier and nicer.

The other is an older Browning and it's getting bolted down in a couple of weeks after the flooring is replaced in the basement. Previously it wasn't bolted and is very heavy but might as well make it tough on a POS thief. I like the Browning but a friend has a Liberty and it's also nice. AMSEC is supposedly one of the better ones without going to a jeweler's safe or vault. They are pricey but all of them are just there to buy time and stop half azz thieves or fire. An angle grinder will get in most any of them I think.

Last edited by georgiaboy : 07-04-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:49 PM
THE PLACE Member

One other thing that I did was purchase a decent fire proof box that I keep documents (birth certificates, will, social security cards, etc) and some cash in and have it locked inside the safe
Old 07-04-2016, 03:46 PM
THE PLACE Member

Which box did you get Sixes? I need one of those boxes or envelopes for some documents.

While we are on added purchases, I also have some cheap LED lights and a rechargeable dehumidifier that you plug in overnight to recharge. Way better than the retarded "bake at 250 for 12 hours" types.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:40 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
One other thing that I did was purchase a decent fire proof box that I keep documents (birth certificates, will, social security cards, etc) and some cash in and have it locked inside the safe
Yep. Did that too. I have a middle of the road Liberty. I like it. I left mine on the timbers it came on and bolted them to the floor. Keeps it up off the basement floor 3-4" in case I had water trouble.

Buy bigger than you need, then get one size bigger. I'm out of space
Old 07-04-2016, 07:58 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
Which box did you get Sixes? I need one of those boxes or envelopes for some documents.

While we are on added purchases, I also have some cheap LED lights and a rechargeable dehumidifier that you plug in overnight to recharge. Way better than the retarded "bake at 250 for 12 hours" types.
Not sure of the model but its made by Honeywell, its probably 10x10 or 12x12 and 4 inches or so thick.

I taped the key to the box to the top of inside of the safe so I wouldnt forget where I put it
Old 07-04-2016, 09:28 PM
THE PLACE Member

I have a Loc On. Bought it from Dicks. I'm out of room with guns I never use anymore. LoL
I've had to buy the combination from the company over the years because I keep forgetting the combination. LoL
Old 07-04-2016, 09:51 PM
THE PLACE Member

lol uggh.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Yep. Did that too. I have a middle of the road Liberty. I like it. I left mine on the timbers it came on and bolted them to the floor. Keeps it up off the basement floor 3-4" in case I had water trouble.

Buy bigger than you need, then get one size bigger. I'm out of space
Off the floor is a good idea. Might not be a bad idea to cut a 4x4 and bolt that then bolt the safe to the lumber.

We got a lot of water in the basement when an ice maker line broke about a month ago. Still putting it back together so I won't be bolting anything until the flooring is down in that room. Are the redheads the best bolt for concrete? I used lag screws upstairs through the hardwood and subfloor.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:06 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
Off the floor is a good idea. Might not be a bad idea to cut a 4x4 and bolt that then bolt the safe to the lumber.

We got a lot of water in the basement when an ice maker line broke about a month ago. Still putting it back together so I won't be bolting anything until the flooring is down in that room. Are the redheads the best bolt for concrete? I used lag screws upstairs through the hardwood and subfloor.
Yep, that's what I used. A red head type anchor.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Mean muggin

No doubt on the buy big statement. I wish I had gone with the 30 gun safe, I think mine is a 20. Cannon from tractor supply.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

I have a Cannon. 54 or 57 gun safe? Can't remember? Got a good deal from Tractor Supply last November. It weighs over 500lbs dry. It was a mother you know what getting it moved into the house.